Wednesday, July 12, 2017
writingonblog uncensored: Demand from North increases tomato prices in Chenn...
writingonblog uncensored: Demand from North increases tomato prices in Chenn...: A Jegadeeswari @ Chennai: Tomato prices have crossed above Rs 90 mark due to rise in demand from the neighbouring states of Andhra and K...
Demand from North increases tomato prices in Chennai
A Jegadeeswari @ Chennai:
Tomato prices have crossed above Rs 90 mark due to rise in demand from the neighbouring states of Andhra and Karnataka where the particular commodity is procured.
M Thiagarajan, president of Koyambedu Vegetable, Fruit and Flower Sellers’ Welfare Association told Express that the demand in the neighbouring states peaked as traders from Northern parts of India, where the prices of tomatoes have gone up, frequented these markets.
“The crop is usually auctioned in these markets and we are now getting it for a higher price due to competition from these traders,” said Thiagarajan.
The city usually gets 800 tonnes of tomatoes per day. Now it is getting only 400 tonnes of tomatoes.
Currently, Koyambedu market gets only five per cent of tomatoes from the Krishnagiri belt and rest 95pc is procured from neighbouring Andhra and Karnataka. “Usually, we used to get tomatoes from Dindigul, Theni, North arcot, Vellore, Dharmapuri, Kaeripattnam etc. But due to scanty rainfall and farmers not getting enough money for their produce, there is a scarcity,” he added while urging the state government to look into the issue.
Traders fear the prices of tomatoes will continue to rise, he added.
M.Abdul khader, Assistant Secretary of Koyambedu Merchants Association, adds that " While the price of tomatoes has gone up substantialy,those of other vegetables, though slightly high, are more or less stable comparitively".
Tomato being a key ingredient in Tamil cuisine, the price hike is really burning holes in the pockets of middle class people. " Just seeing the prices of tomatoes makes me want to faint. It's a great stress and creates strains on our weekly budget", said S.Mythili, a house wife from Vepery, who is clueless as to the reason behind this price hike. S. Sundari, a house maid laments that they are forced to use curd instead of tomato made curries and rasam. The increase in price mainly distresses the middle and lower middle class families.writingonblog uncensored: TN Minister a ‘silent partner’ in illegal mining
writingonblog uncensored: TN Minister a ‘silent partner’ in illegal mining: C Shivakumar @ Chennai: A Cabinet minister in Tamil Nadu government is a silent partner in SRS Mining, the firm whose proceeds are now...
TN Minister a ‘silent partner’ in illegal mining
C Shivakumar @ Chennai:
A Cabinet minister in Tamil Nadu government is a silent partner in SRS Mining, the firm whose proceeds are now under the scanner of Income Tax department, Enforcement Directorate and Central Bureau of Investigation for tax evasion and money laundering.
It is learnt from the state government sources, which have access to a report submitted by Income Tax department, that the minister is the fourth ‘silent partner’ in SRS Mining and holds 20 per cent stake.
The other three partners in SRS Mining are J Sekar Reddy, Rathinam and Ramachandran. The company was under the scrutiny of Income Tax, which conducted searches last year at various places of Sekhar Reddy, managing partner of SRS Mining and seized about Rs 97 crore of old currencies (which were demonetised), Rs 34 crore of new currencies (that was circulated post demonetisation) and about 177kg of gold bars.
After Central Bureau of Investigation registered FIRs against the three partners for converting demonetised currencies to new currencies, ED had started quizzing those involved in the case.
It is learnt from the Income Tax department that the earnings from the illegal sale of sand across the state is worth Rs 120 crore per month.
It is learnt that the profits are being divided by the partners.
Sources told that the minister gets 20pc of share from the sale of illegal sand.
Interestingly, during the investigation by Enforcement Directorate, it was learnt that the partners of SRS Mining has stated that they used to transport huge unaccounted cash by road and admitted they have not maintained any accounts against the collections, expenses to conceal the illegal earnings from the accounted income.
It is alleged that the partners through SRS Mining buy the sand at cheaper rate from the government mines and do the second sales at stackyard without any receipts thus avoiding value added tax and other taxes paid to the government.
A total of 400 cubic feet of sand being sold in government mine is worth approximately Rs 1,300. However, it is learnt that sand is unofficially sold for more than Rs 10,000. “The sale depends on the size of the vehicles and per load is being sold at Rs 10,000, Rs 8,000 and Rs 6,000,” sand mining sources added.
During investigation it was revealed that the unaccounted cash fromSRS Mining was used to buy the gold bars.
Friday, April 7, 2017
Russian warranty for Unit 1 of KKNPP gets over
Chennai:
The warranty period of Unit One of Koodankulam Nuclear Power Plant (KKNPP) has got over with India taking over the operation of the power plant, according to a official of ASE Group of companies, a subsidiary of Russian State Energy Atomic Corporation (ROSATOM).
The commercial operation and the warranty period of Unit 1 of KKNPP started in December, 2014.
Andrei Lebedev, Vice President of ASE for projects in South Asia said that representatives of ASE Group of Companies and Nuclear Power Corporation of India (NPCIL) signed a Joint Statement on final takeover of Unit 1 of the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant (KKNPP) on Wednesday.
By signing the document, the Russian and Indian sides confirmed fulfillment of all warranty terms and obligations of the contractor (ASE Group of Companies) for the construction of the Unit 1.
“The warranty period run showed reliable and safe operation of Unit 1. Thus, Indian side confirms that ASE Group of Companies, which is general contractor, has fulfilled all its tasks in full and accurately,” he said.
“From now on operation of unit 1 is totally within the responsibility of the Indian side", he added.
This comes in the wake of ASE Engineering Company and NPCIL signing the Act of Preliminary Acceptance of Unit 2 of the KKNPP, which allows the unit to begin its one-year period of warranty operation from March 30.
“As of now, the Unit 2 of the KNPP in India is under the warranty of its general designer and the suppliers of equipment from Russia, which are represented by ASE Engineering Company. This means that, in case of any malfunctions or technical failures related to the obligations of ASE at the Unit 2 of KKNPP, the inconsistencies in the operation of the equipment will be taken care of by the Russian side,” said Lebedev.
“This period of responsibility will last until March 30, 2018, after which the Statement on the final acceptance of Unit 2 by the operating entity in India will be signed,” he added.
Reacting to the expiry of Russian warranty for Unit 1, anti-nuclear activist S P Udaykumar said that the entire project is a liability for India. “The Unit 1 of KKNPP project was shut down for 35 times when compared to any new nuclear plant which shuts down once or twice. The biggest issue about Unit I is that it does not have liability clause. It is complete waste of public money and dangerous experiment on public. It is a White Elephant,” he alleged.
He also demanded that government conduct an inquiry over alleged misappropriation of funds pertaining to the project.
When Express tried to contact officials of Nuclear Power Corporation of India, they refused to comment
Chennai:
The warranty period of Unit One of Koodankulam Nuclear Power Plant (KKNPP) has got over with India taking over the operation of the power plant, according to a official of ASE Group of companies, a subsidiary of Russian State Energy Atomic Corporation (ROSATOM).
The commercial operation and the warranty period of Unit 1 of KKNPP started in December, 2014.
Andrei Lebedev, Vice President of ASE for projects in South Asia said that representatives of ASE Group of Companies and Nuclear Power Corporation of India (NPCIL) signed a Joint Statement on final takeover of Unit 1 of the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant (KKNPP) on Wednesday.
By signing the document, the Russian and Indian sides confirmed fulfillment of all warranty terms and obligations of the contractor (ASE Group of Companies) for the construction of the Unit 1.
“The warranty period run showed reliable and safe operation of Unit 1. Thus, Indian side confirms that ASE Group of Companies, which is general contractor, has fulfilled all its tasks in full and accurately,” he said.
“From now on operation of unit 1 is totally within the responsibility of the Indian side", he added.
This comes in the wake of ASE Engineering Company and NPCIL signing the Act of Preliminary Acceptance of Unit 2 of the KKNPP, which allows the unit to begin its one-year period of warranty operation from March 30.
“As of now, the Unit 2 of the KNPP in India is under the warranty of its general designer and the suppliers of equipment from Russia, which are represented by ASE Engineering Company. This means that, in case of any malfunctions or technical failures related to the obligations of ASE at the Unit 2 of KKNPP, the inconsistencies in the operation of the equipment will be taken care of by the Russian side,” said Lebedev.
“This period of responsibility will last until March 30, 2018, after which the Statement on the final acceptance of Unit 2 by the operating entity in India will be signed,” he added.
Reacting to the expiry of Russian warranty for Unit 1, anti-nuclear activist S P Udaykumar said that the entire project is a liability for India. “The Unit 1 of KKNPP project was shut down for 35 times when compared to any new nuclear plant which shuts down once or twice. The biggest issue about Unit I is that it does not have liability clause. It is complete waste of public money and dangerous experiment on public. It is a White Elephant,” he alleged.
He also demanded that government conduct an inquiry over alleged misappropriation of funds pertaining to the project.
When Express tried to contact officials of Nuclear Power Corporation of India, they refused to comment
writingonblog uncensored: ED targets corrupt officials in Madurai, Chennai
writingonblog uncensored: ED targets corrupt officials in Madurai, Chennai: CHENNAI: Enforcement Directorate carried out searches in Madurai and Chennai against bureaucrats and bank officials involved in cor...
ED targets corrupt officials in Madurai, Chennai
Enforcement Directorate carried out searches in Madurai and Chennai against bureaucrats and bank officials involved in corruption and money laundering.
This was part of nationwide searches under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act targeting government officials including those working in Central public sector units and state governm ent. Searches have been conducted at 18 premises across 10 states in India.
In Tamil Nadu, the searches were carried out in three places in Chennai and one in Madurai, said Enforcement Directorate Joint Director K S VV Prasad.
He said that these are stand a lone cases and doesn’t pertain to anything specific.
Enforcement Directorate conducted searches in Madurai against bank officials who had allegedly sanctioned loans for extended credit facilities to private parties without obtaining proper documents or collateral securities and without following norms thus causing financial loss to the banks.
Similarly, searches were carried out against certain of ficials of Employees Provident Fund Office (EPFO) in Chennai. One of these officers was allegedly involved in financial irregularities and had transferred EPFO funds to the tune of around Rs 2 crore to the accounts of his relatives and family members while the other officer had been caught while accepting bribe from one private institute for extending undue favours.
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)