Tuesday, August 8, 2017

TN health Minister evades taxes worth Rs 14 cr

Chennai:
Tamil Nadu Health Minister Vijaya Bhaskar is believed to have evaded taxes worth Rs 14 crore as Income Tax recorded his statements after questioning him for two hours.

Emerging from the Director General of Income Tax (Investigations) building after being grilled by Income Tax officials for two hours, the minister accepted that the stone crusher unit attached in  100 acre land belongs to him.

While he did not mention about evasion of taxes, it is learnt from sources that it could be around Rs 14 crore. The minister also hit out at the allegations made by the media. “There has been no press release. But the media has been spreading lies. The blue metal company was alleged to be run by a cook Subbiah. Subbiah is a sub-contractor and not a cook. He is a respectable man and has a son who works abroad,” the minister said.

He also said that Income Tax department is well within its powers to attach his property under the new rules. “I am a law abiding citizen. I have been cooperating despite being in a position of power,” he said.

“They had summoned me to appear on 4.30pm. I reached there by 5.30 pm. For two hours they questioned me,” he said.

He also said that the blue metal company is functioning within the rules. “There are 120 stone crushers in the area. It is one of the traditional form of business in that area. I am also one of the entreprenuers. Everything is within the rule,” the minister said.

“Once the inquiry is over in the next six months. I will get back my property after undergoing due processes. I have been paying value added tax, income tax and sales tax for the property,” he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment