Friday, September 4, 2015

Chennai Metro to sensitise guards on Sikhism



Chennai:
Tandeep Singh never thought his first ride in Chennai Metro could result in an unsavoury moment with a security guard, who hardly had any inkling about Sikhism.

Boarding the Metro from Vadapalani to Alandur around 8.30 pm on last Monday, Tandeep, a senior engineer working with a company in Tada, was enjoying his first Metro ride. Terming himself, a true blue Chennaite, Tandeep was in a state of shock when a security guard, unaware of what a turban means to Sikh, asked him to remove it.

“The guy was totally ignorant. He said you remove the cap. I told him you can’t call it a cap. It is a turban. He became confused. I told him to summon his supervisor, who immediately let me go,” said Tandeep.

Interestingly, Chennai Metro Rail after learning about the incident apologised to Tandeep personally “I have nothing against Chennai Metro. The incident should not have happened. What would have happened if there some Sikh would have been from North. It could create unnecessary tension,” said Tandeep, who resides in St Thomas Mount.

Interestingly, Metro Rail officials confirmed about the incident. “We saw the clipping. The issue was resolved immediately,” said a Metro rail source.

“This was out of ignorance. The guard was unaware about Sikh religion. We will sensitise them about the religion,” said the source.

Tandeep says that Metro Rail needs to educate staff more about such issues. “I was in two minds to throw a raging fit there and make a scene. I refrained from doing so, because that is what my culture, my faith teaches me to do. To be patient and understanding with the ignorant,” Tandeep added

No comments:

Post a Comment